By Hayden Groves – REIWA President https://reiwa.com.au/
Real estate transactions are complex. For many Western Australians, it can be a challenge to determine their individual rights and responsibilities when it comes to dealing with property issues.
REIWA launched a public information service in 1992 to assist buyers, sellers, tenants and landlords to navigate their property journeys. This valuable service allows members of the WA public dealing with a REIWA agent to find answers to their queries and concerns.
Last financial year more than 20,000 phone calls were placed to the REIWA Information Service (2,000 more than the previous financial year), with Western Australians seeking clarification and assistance from the institute on a wide range of real estate matters.
As the WA market has slowed these past few years, the REIWA Information Service has seen call volumes increase. Residential property management continues to be the most common topic the public ring about, with 70% of all ‘phone calls for the year to date received from tenants and landlords. The remaining 30% of calls have generally related to residential sales.
WA tenants most commonly call REIWA to discuss the early termination of their rental lease. They also want to know what rights their landlord has to enter their property while tenanted and what rights they have with regards to repairs and maintenance.
Landlords, on the other hand, most commonly call to seek information on a tenant’s obligation to pay rent, to find out how the court system works in order to claim damages and to clarify their rights around abandoned goods.
In the residential sales market, buyers who call the REIWA Information Service generally do so to get information about their obligation to obtain finance approval within a period of time. They also commonly call to clarify their rights for the pre-settlement inspection, while WA sellers most frequently call to find out about the settlement process, satisfying contractual conditions and to discuss buyer requests which are not addressed in the contract for sale.
The REIWA Information Service team is comprised of two full time staff members and 70 local REIWA agents who give three hours of their time every few months on a voluntary basis.
When you ‘phone up you are given direct access to these local property experts who can educate you on areas you are unsure about and help resolve any tricky property matters you might be facing.
If you are dealing with a REIWA agent and have a real estate query you want answered, I would highly recommend contacting the REIWA Information Service on 9380 8200 for assistance.